The process or result of forming crystals or a crystal structure, often as a result of cooling and solidification of a substance.
The word 'crystallization' is derived from the latin word 'crystallizare' meaning 'to make into crystals', which is based on the greek word 'krystallos' meaning 'clear ice, crystal'.
- The sugar syrup underwent crystallization as it cooled and became solid.
- The mineral samples were subjected to high pressure and temperature to induce crystallization.
- The process of crystallization is important in the purification of substances, as impurities are often left behind.
- The scientists studied the effect of different conditions on the rate of crystallization.
- The crystallization of the metal alloy produced large, well-formed crystals with a unique structure.