A person who is a member of a cult, especially a religious cult, and who follows its beliefs and practices devoutly.
The word 'cultist' is derived from the latin word 'cultus' meaning 'cult, worship', which is related to the verb 'colere' meaning 'to cultivate, worship'.
- The authorities arrested several cultists who were involved in a dangerous and illegal cult activity.
- The cultists believed that their leader was a divine being and followed his orders without question.
- The police rescued several young people who had been brainwashed and recruited as cultists.
- The cultist's behavior became increasingly erratic as he became more deeply involved in the cult.
- The cultists gathered in secret for their rituals and ceremonies, which were kept hidden from outsiders.