- The thin layer of dead skin that covers the top surface of a fingernail or toenail.
- The layer of epidermis that surrounds the base of a hair on the skin.
- The protective layer of cells surrounding the base of a feather.
From latin cuticula, from cutis ("ski.n")
- She trimmed her cuticles before applying nail polish.
- He examined the cuticles of the leaves under the microscope.
- The cuticle of the hair protects the hair shaft from damage.
- Cuticle oils are used to moisturize and nourish the cuticles.
- The cuticle of a feather is important for the feather's strength and flexibility.