- A chemical compound containing the cyanide ion, CN-.
- A toxic chemical that can be fatal if ingested or inhaled.
- A chemical compound containing the group -C≡N, used in certain types of chemical reactions and in the production of certain chemicals, plastics, and dyes.
From french cyanure, from greek kyanos ("dark blue") + -ide.
- Cyanide is used in the extraction of gold and silver from ores.
- Inhaling cyanide can cause rapid breathing, confusion and seizures.
- The poison used to kill the pests was cyanide.
- It is used in electroplating, metallurgy and photography.
- The smoke from burning plastics can contain cyanide and other toxic gases.