- A weather system characterized by low pressure and rotating winds which spiral inwards, typically causing damage and strong winds.
- A violent and intense disturbance or upheaval, especially a political one.
Late 19th century: from greek kyklos "circle" + -one.
- The coastal town was hit by a devastating cyclone.
- The cyclone caused widespread destruction and left thousands homeless.
- The cyclone season lasts from June to November.
- The cyclone warnings were issued for the low-lying areas.
- The aftermath of the cyclone was chaotic, with fallen trees and power lines everywhere.