The material or protoplasm within a cell, excluding the nucleus.
Late 19th century; from greek kytos "cell" + -plasm.
- Cytoplasm contains various organelles that perform specific functions.
- The cytoplasm provides the necessary environment for the metabolic processes of the cell.
- Mitosis occurs in the cytoplasm and is critical to the division of cells.
- The cytoplasm is the main component of the cytoplasmic matrix.
- The cytoplasm is the site of many important cellular reactions and processes.