- To sell or dispose of (an asset or investment).
- To remove or strip away (power, authority, etc.).
- To release oneself from or rid oneself of (an obligation or responsibility).
From the latin word divestire, meaning to take off or strip off.
- The company decided to divest itself of its non-core assets.
- The Board of Directors voted to divest the company of its underperforming subsidiary.
- The company's CEO was forced to divest himself of his controlling interest in the firm.
- The government announced plans to divest itself of state-owned assets.
- The university divested itself of any stocks of fossil fuel companies.
Some random words: pretension, asthma, verbatim