- An object placed against a door to keep it open.
- A heavy object used to prevent a door from closing.
The word 'doorstop' originated in the late 19th century and refers to an object used to prop open a door or prevent it from closing.
- The doorstop was a brick, which kept the door propped open.
- The doorstop was a wedge-shaped piece of wood.
- The doorstop was a decorative item that also served a practical purpose.
- The doorstop was a sand-filled bag that wouldn't move when the door was opened.
- The doorstop was a small statue that added character to the room.