- A person who has left their native country, especially for political reasons.
- A person who has left one country to settle in another, usually for political reasons.
The word emigre comes from the french word émigré, which means one who has emigrated from their native country.
- The revolution in France caused many emigres to flee to other countries.
- He was an emigre from Russia who settled in the United States.
- The emigres settled in the new country and established a vibrant community.
- The emigres brought their culture and customs to the new land.
- Many emigres were forced to leave their country due to war or political unrest.