- A belief in the political and social application of Islam.
- An ideology that seeks to establish a theocratic Islamic state.
- A political movement that promotes the integration of Islamic principles in government and society.
Derived from the arabic word "islam" meaning "submission to god".
- The rise of islamism in the Middle East has led to increased tensions with western countries.
- Many young muslims are drawn to islamism as a way to combat the perceived injustices in their societies.
- The government's crackdown on islamism has led to widespread human rights abuses.
- Critics argue that islamism is not a monolithic ideology and should not be conflated with the actions of extremist groups.
- Some scholars argue that islamism is a response to the failure of secular nationalism movements in the Muslim world.