A large North American hare (Lepus californicus) with long ears and legs.
The word jackrabbit is thought to be a combination of the word "jack" which was used as a generic term for small creatures, and the word "rabbit", referring to the animal"s resemblance to a small hare.
- The jackrabbit hopped across the desert.
- The jackrabbit is a common sight in the western United States.
- The jackrabbit's long ears and legs help it detect predators and escape quickly.
- Jackrabbits are known for their fast running speed.
- Jackrabbits are herbivores, and their diet mainly consists of grasses and forbs.