The act or process of freeing a device, such as a smartphone, from restrictions imposed by the manufacturer, especially those limiting the use of software from outside a defined platform.
From the verb phrase jail + break, with reference to breaking out of jail.
- Many tech enthusiasts enjoy jailbreaking their iPhones to access more customization options.
- The jailbreak community was able to find a way to bypass the restrictions imposed by Apple.
- Jailbreaking your device can void the warranty.
- Some jailbreaks can leave your device vulnerable to security threats.
- Jailbreaking has been a controversial topic among tech experts, with some arguing that it enhances the user experience while others believe it undermines device security.
Some random words: homesick, petunia, disquietude