- A person responsible for the custody and control of prisoners in a jail.
- A person who keeps someone as a prisoner.
From the old french jailleor, jailleour, gailler, gaillour, from the latin cavellus, cavellarius, from cavea, cage.
- The jailer unlocked the cell and led the prisoner out.
- The jailer was responsible for the prisoners' welfare.
- The jailer had to be careful not to let the prisoners escape.
- The jailer was accused of mistreating the prisoners.
- The jailer was the only person who had contact with the prisoners.