- A vertical side piece of a door, window or fireplace opening.
- Either of the two upright posts or pieces that form the sides of a doorway, window or fireplace.
Derived from the old french word 'jamb' meaning 'leg or pillar'. in architecture, a jamb refers to the vertical side piece of a door, window or fireplace opening.
- The carpenter measured the jamb to ensure that the door would fit properly.
- The jamb was made of solid oak and was finished to match the trim.
- The jamb of the window was decorated with intricate carvings.
- The jamb of the fireplace was blackened from years of smoke and soot.
- The jamb was fitted with a doorstop to protect the door and wall.