- The bone located in the jaw that supports the teeth and facilitates biting and chewing.
- Either of the two bones, the mandible or the maxilla, forming the framework of the mouth.
Derived from the old english word 'geafanbān' meaning 'jaw bone'. the jawbone refers to the bone located in the jaw that supports the teeth and facilitates biting and chewing.
- The dentist examined the patient's jawbone and determined that she needed a root canal.
- The paleontologist carefully examined the ancient jawbone, hoping to learn more about the species.
- The jawbone was broken in several places, causing intense pain and difficulty eating.
- The jawbone was wired shut during the healing process, requiring the patient to eat through a straw.
- The jawbone was strong and sturdy, a testament to the animal's powerful bite.