A hard candy or piece of gum that is difficult to chew.
First recorded in the mid-19th century. origin is unknown.
- She kept a jar of jawbreakers on her desk for visitors.
- He offered me a jawbreaker and I reluctantly took it.
- The jawbreaker was so hard, I couldn't even make a dent in it.
- I hadn't had a jawbreaker in years and I was surprised at how much they still hurt my jaw.
- The young boy put the jawbreaker in his mouth and tried to impress his friends by biting it.
Some random words: dyspeptic, tremble, cheesecloth