- A person who crosses a road carelessly or illegally, especially by crossing between parked vehicles or in the middle of the road rather than at a crossing.
- A person who walks or acts in a way that is careless, careless, or foolish.
Late 19th century: from jay + walker.
- The police issued a warning to jaywalkers, reminding them to use crosswalks for their own safety.
- The city had to install more crossing lights to prevent jaywalking.
- He had a near miss with a car when he was caught jaywalking across the street.
- The jaywalker seemed oblivious to the traffic as he strolled down the center of the road.
- In many cities, jaywalking is considered a minor offense and can result in a fine.