- A lively dance, typically in compound time, with jumping movements and rapid footwork.
- A machine or device used in a manufacturing process to hold and guide a workpiece while it is being cut or drilled.
Early 16th century: of unknown origin.
- He was dancing a jig to the lively Celtic music.
- The jig was used to hold the piece of wood while it was being drilled.
- The fisherman was using a jig to catch bass.
- The jig used in the manufacturing process helped to ensure the parts were cut with precision.
- The jig helped the carpenter to make the complex cuts required for the dovetail joints.