A person who believes in or advocates for the use of jihad, or holy war, as a means of promoting or defending Islam.
From the arabic word "jihad" meaning "struggle" or "striving" and the suffix "-ist" indicating a person who practices or is an advocate of a certain activity or belief.
- The terrorist attack was carried out by a group of jihadist extremists.
- He was arrested for providing support to a jihadist organization.
- The government is working to prevent the radicalization of young people into becoming jihadists.
- The jihadist group claimed responsibility for the bombing.
- The jihadist propaganda on social media played a role in radicalizing the attacker.