A small bus or car that travels short distances and carries passengers for a low fare, especially one that operates without a fixed route or schedule.
Late 19th century: probably a colloquial alteration of jetty, used as a slang term for a small horse-drawn carriage.
- The city has a well-developed network of jitneys that are popular with tourists and locals alike.
- He always took the jitney to work, since it was cheap and convenient.
- The jitney service was suspended due to the bad weather conditions.
- The jitney driver was very friendly and chatty during the ride.
- The jitney was so crowded that some passengers had to stand.