- Shake suddenly and violently.
- Startle or surprise (someone) suddenly and unpleasantly.
- Cause (a machine or vehicle) to shake violently.
Mid 16th century: perhaps of scandinavian origin; compare with swedish dialect jol "a blow".
- The car jolted over the rough road.
- She was jolted awake by the sudden noise.
- The explosion jolted the building, causing the lights to flicker.
- The sudden movement of the horse jolted the rider.
- The train jolted to a halt, throwing the passengers forward.
Some random words: duplication, miniature, toughen