- A skilled worker who has completed an apprenticeship and is fully qualified in a trade but not yet a master.
- A person who has reached a level of proficiency and experience in a particular field or profession.
From the word journey meaning "a trip or travel" and the suffix "-man" indicating a person.
- He was a journeyman electrician and had completed his apprenticeship.
- The journeyman plumber was able to fix the leaky pipe.
- He was a journeyman in his field, with many years of experience.
- The journeyman's work was of professional quality.
- He was a journeyman in the sense that he had mastered the basics of the trade but still had a lot to learn to become a master.