- A device consisting of a lever or a stick that is moved in various directions to control the movement of an object or a machine.
- A control lever for a video game, an aircraft, or a crane, used for controlling the direction or the speed of movement.
Derived from the old french word 'jouer' meaning to play, and the word 'stick' meaning a rod or a lever.
- The pilot moved the joystick, to steer the aircraft and avoid the turbulence.
- The gamer moved the joystick, to direct the character and win the battle.
- The crane operator moved the joystick, to lift the load and place it precisely.
- The programmer tested the joystick, to ensure that it works correctly with the software.
- The mechanic adjusted the joystick, to improve the sensitivity and the accuracy of the control.