- A container, usually with a handle, spout, and lid, for boiling water or cooking food, typically on a stove.
- A large metal or ceramic container with a handle and spout, used for boiling water.
Old english cetel, of germanic origin; related to dutch ketel and german kessel.
- She filled the kettle with water and put it on the stove to boil.
- He made tea in a stainless steel kettle.
- The kettle began to whistle as the water reached boiling point.
- She put the kettle on to make coffee.
- He heated the kettle over an open fire.