Art, literature, or other forms of cultural expression that are considered to be in poor taste because they are gaudy, overly sentimental, or lacking in genuine artistic value.
The word kitsch comes from the german word "kitschen" which means "to sell cheap goods". it was first used in the late 19th century to describe cheaply produced or sentimental artistic or literary works. the word has been in use since the early 20th century.
- The kitsch painting was a copy of a famous masterpiece.
- The kitsch sculpture was a cheap imitation of a famous work of art.
- The kitsch novel was a sentimental romance with no literary merit.
- The kitsch music was overly sentimental and lacked genuine emotion.
- The kitsch movie was a cheap imitation of a popular genre.