- A reaction or response that is automatic and unthinking.
- A response that is made without considering the situation or facts.
From the reflexive motion of the knee, where a tap to the knee will cause it to quickly extend.
- His knee-jerk reaction was to quit his job after the argument with his boss.
- The politician's knee-jerk response to the crisis was to call for more laws and regulations.
- The new policy was criticized as being a knee-jerk solution to a complex problem.
- She had a knee-jerk dislike of anything that was new and unfamiliar.
- The knee-jerk reaction of the public was to blame the government for the disaster.