- An instrument consisting of a sharp blade fixed into a handle, used for cutting and spreading food, for cutting hair and nails, for cutting paper and cloth, etc.
- A weapon consisting of a sharp blade fixed to a handle, used for cutting or thrusting.
- A surgical instrument with a sharp blade used for cutting or dissecting tissue.
Old english cnif, of germanic origin; related to dutch and german messer.
- She pulled a knife from her pocket.
- He was arrested for carrying a knife.
- I need to sharpen my knife before I can use it.
- This knife is perfect for slicing tomatoes.
- The surgeon used a knife to make an incision.