The rank or status of a knight, especially as conferred by a monarch or other authority, typically including the use of the title "Sir" and certain privileges.
From old english cniht (boy, servant, retainer) and -hood (condition, status).
- He was awarded a knighthood for his services to the country.
- The knighthood is a historic title that has been given to many great leaders.
- He was bestowed a knighthood by the Queen for his contribution to the arts.
- The knighthood ceremony is a formal event that is held in the presence of royalty.
- The knighthood is an honor that is highly respected and coveted in many countries.