- A weight or quantity of material carried or lifted at one time.
- A weight or burden.
- An amount of work assigned or to be done.
Old english lād "way, journey", of west germanic origin; related to dutch laad and german last, from an indo-european root shared by latin lassus "weary".
- The truck was carrying a heavy load of timber.
- She was carrying a load of books in her arms.
- The burden of responsibility was a heavy load for him to bear.
- The team was assigned a load of work to complete by the end of the week.
- The server was unable to handle the load of traffic.