- A mixture of chopped dried fruit, spices, and sometimes meat, used as a filling for pies, tarts, and other baked goods, especially at Christmas.
- A type of food that has been finely chopped or ground.
Middle english mincmete, from old french mincemet, from mince, to chop + met, meat.
- She made the mincemeat for the pies from scratch, using her grandmother's recipe.
- The mincemeat had a rich, fruity flavor, with just the right amount of spices.
- The savory mincemeat was a mixture of beef, onions, and carrots, seasoned with herbs.
- The sweet mincemeat was used as a filling for the traditional Christmas pies.
- She added the mincemeat to the pastry case and topped it with a lattice of pastry strips before baking.