- Inflammation of a nerve or group of nerves, characterized by pain, weakness, and sometimes loss of function.
- An inflammation of a nerve or nerves.
From the greek νευρο- (neuro-) meaning "nerve" and -itis meaning "inflammation".
- The patient was diagnosed with optic neuritis, an inflammation of the optic nerve.
- The neuritis in her wrist caused her to drop things and made it difficult to grip.
- The neuritis was so severe that it caused him to lose feeling in his fingers.
- She was diagnosed with neuritis in her leg, which caused her to limp.
- The neuritis was caused by a viral infection and was treated with corticosteroids and physical therapy.