A stick or baton, typically made of wood or plastic, used by police officers as a means of self-defense and control.
The word "nightstick" comes from the combination of the words "night" and "stick" referring to a stick or baton used by police officers, especially during the night. it has been in use since the late 19th century.
- The police officer carried a nightstick as a means of self-defense.
- He was hit with a nightstick and suffered serious injuries.
- The nightstick was used to control the crowd.
- The nightstick was a standard piece of equipment for all police officers.
- The use of nightsticks by police officers has been controversial and is being re-evaluated by many departments.