- A point or place where something is joined, such as a joint or a knot in a stem or branch.
- A point in a network or communication system, such as a computer or telephone, that is capable of sending or receiving information.
From latin nodus "knot", from nuere "to bind".
- A node is a point of intersection or connection in a network.
- The node on a stem is where a leaf or branch grows.
- The network node acts as a gateway between different networks.
- In a computer network, a node is any device that has the ability to transmit or receive data.
- Telephone companies often call their central offices, where telephone lines are connected, nodes.