- A loop with a running knot that tightens as the rope or cable is pulled, used especially for hanging or as a handle or restraint.
- A situation or circumstance that is likely to lead to a difficult or dangerous outcome, especially death.
Middle english, from old english nōs; akin to old english nacan to dwell.
- The prisoner was hanged by means of a noose.
- He put a noose around his neck and jumped off the bridge.
- The noose was made from a thick rope.
- He felt like he was trapped in a noose, unable to escape his problems.
- The noose tightened around the animal's neck as it struggled.
Some random words: sacrosanct, abstinence, depredation