- More desirable or suitable.
- Better or more appropriate in the circumstances.
- More preferable or advantageous.
From latin praeferre ("to carry before, prefer"), from prae ("before") + ferre ("to carry, bea.r")
- I would prefer a glass of water to a soda.
- It is preferable to arrive early than to be late.
- The preferable option is to wait for the storm to pass.
- In this case, it is preferable to use a more powerful tool.
- It is preferable to use natural light rather than artificial light.