Relating to or involving the second power of a quantity.
Late 16th century: from latin quadratus "made square", from quadrare "to make square", from quattuor "four".
- A quadratic equation is an equation of the form ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants.
- The graph of a quadratic equation is a parabola.
- The solution to a quadratic equation can be found using the quadratic formula.
- The coefficients of a quadratic equation determine the shape and position of the corresponding parabolic graph.
- The study of quadratic equations is an important part of algebra and is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering.