- A state of uncertainty or perplexity over what to do in a difficult situation.
- A state of doubt or perplexity as to what to decide or do.
Early 17th century: from archaic quandary, from old french quant-darei "what shall i do?", from quant "how much" + darei, from latin debere "to owe".
- She was in a quandary about what to do with her life.
- He was in a quandary about whether to accept the job offer.
- She was in a quandary about what to wear to the wedding.
- He was in a quandary about how to handle the situation.
- She was in a quandary about whether to go to college or start working.