- An officer in the armed forces responsible for supplies and equipment.
- A civilian in charge of supplies and equipment in an organization or company.
Mid 17th century: from quarter "one of four parts" + master "one who has control".
- The quartermaster was responsible for ensuring that the troops had enough food, water, and ammunition.
- The quartermaster of the ship was in charge of storing and distributing the provisions.
- The quartermaster of the construction company was in charge of ordering and maintaining the equipment.
- The quartermaster was praised for his efficient and effective management of the supplies.
- The quartermaster had to make tough decisions on how to allocate limited resources to the various units.