- To suppress or crush completely.
- To nullify or make void, especially by legal action.
From old french quasser (to break), from vulgar latin quassare, frequentative of latin quatere (to shake).
- The government quashed the rebellion with a brutal crackdown on dissent.
- The judge quashed the murder conviction due to lack of evidence.
- The company quashed rumors of a merger by issuing a public statement denying them.
- The president quashed the proposal to raise taxes on the wealthy.
- The university quashed the student protest by threatening to expel any participants.
Some random words: precipitous, bully, trey