- A female ruler of an independent state, especially one who inherits the position by right of birth.
- A playing card with a picture of a queen on it, usually ranking above a king and below an ace in a deck of cards.
- A female monarch of a colony of bees, ants, or termites.
Old english cwen, of germanic origin; related to dutch koningin and german königin.
- The queen of England is Elizabeth II.
- She was dealt a queen of spades.
- The queen bee is the mother of all the bees in the colony.
- The queen is the most powerful piece in the game of chess.
- She was crowned queen of the beauty pageant.