- The chemical element mercury, a heavy silvery-white metal that is a liquid at room temperature and pressure.
- Something that is elusive or constantly changing.
Middle english: from quick 'alive' + silver, the liquid metal being so named because of its fluidity and lively appearance.
- The quicksilver in the thermometer rose as the temperature increased.
- Quicksilver was once used in the extraction of gold and silver from their ores.
- Her moods were as changeable as quicksilver.
- The quicksilver spill contaminated the river and killed the fish.
- He was as quick as quicksilver and never stayed in one place for long.