A state of rest or inactivity; stillness.
From latin quiescentia, from quiescere "to be at rest".
- The quiescence of the lake was disturbed only by the occasional duck taking off from its surface.
- The quiescence of the forest was shattered by the loud cries of the monkeys.
- The quiescence of the monastery was a peaceful refuge from the noisy outside world.
- The quiescence of the patient was the result of the heavy sedation given to them by the doctor.
- The quiescence of the city was shattered by the sudden explosion that rocked the downtown area.
Some random words: fossilization, evanescent, marxist