A philosophical or religious doctrine that emphasizes the withdrawal of the self from the world and the cultivation of an inner spiritual life as the means to ultimate knowledge, union with God, or enlightenment.
From latin quietus (at rest, peaceful) + -ism.
- The monk's life was characterized by quietism.
- The religious movement advocated for quietism.
- The guru's teachings were rooted in quietism.
- The philosophy of quietism emphasizes the inner spiritual life.
- The quietism doctrine is based on the withdrawal of self from the world.