- A low area of land between hills or mountains, typically with a river or stream running through it.
- A low point or depression between two peaks or ridges.
Middle english: from old french vallee, from latin vallis. the original sense was "a vineyard", later "an area of land between hills".
- The valley was surrounded by tall mountains.
- The sun had set and the valley was plunged into darkness.
- We hiked down into the valley.
- The river runs through the valley.
- The valley was filled with the sounds of birds singing.