A chemical element with the symbol Xe and atomic number 54. It is a colorless, odorless, and inert gas that forms noble gases group in the periodic table.
The word xenon is derived from the greek word xenos, meaning "foreign" or "strange", as it was discovered that this gas was not found in the earth"s atmosphere.
- Xenon is used in some types of lighting, such as streetlamps and headlights.
- Xenon is also used in the production of semiconductors.
- The gas is used in some medical procedures such as MRI.
- Xenon is used as a propellant in ion propulsion systems for spacecraft.
- Xenon is also used to fill some types of incandescent and fluorescent lamps.