- A continuous strand of twisted fibers or filaments, typically made of natural or synthetic fibers, used in weaving or knitting to make cloth.
- A story, especially a long and elaborate one.
Middle english yern, from old english gearn; akin to old high german garn thread, old norse garn.
- She bought a skein of yarn to make a scarf.
- The old man spun a yarn about his adventures at sea.
- She knit a sweater using soft woolen yarn.
- The children sat around the campfire listening to the yarn spinner.
- She weaved a beautiful tapestry using various colors of yarn.