A Germanic language spoken by Ashkenazi Jews, written in Hebrew characters and having many Hebrew and Aramaic loanwords.
The word "yiddish" originated in the early 19th century, it comes from the german word "jiddisch" which is a germanic language spoken by ashkenazi jews.
- He grew up speaking Yiddish and Hebrew.
- The novel was written in Yiddish.
- He had a good command of Yiddish literature.
- Yiddish is considered a endangered language.
- Yiddish was the primary language spoken in Eastern Europe by Ashkenazi Jews.