A toy consisting of a spool that is wound up with string and rolls down a string when the spool is released, used to perform tricks.
Mid 19th century: probably from ilocano (a philippine language) yóyo.
- As a child, he was always playing with his yo-yo, trying to impress his friends.
- The yo-yo champion performed a series of impressive tricks with the yo-yo.
- She remembered her grandfather teaching her how to play with the yo-yo when she was young.
- The yo-yo is a classic toy that has been popular for generations.
- The yo-yo competition was a highlight of the school's annual talent show.