- The general intellectual, moral, and cultural climate of an era.
- The dominant set of attitudes and ideas that characterize a particular period in history.
From german, literally meaning "time spirit" or "spirit of the age".
- The novel captured the zeitgeist of the 1960s counterculture movement.
- The artist's work reflects the zeitgeist of our current political climate.
- The company's new product was perfectly in tune with the zeitgeist of the market.
- The zeitgeist of the era was one of optimism and progress.
- The zeitgeist of the 1920s was characterized by a sense of liberation and hedonism.