- A remark or statement that is clever and often surprising and tends to have a strong impact on the listener or reader.
- A remark that is intended to be funny or amusing but is often seen as being inappropriate or hurtful.
The word "zinger" is thought to have originated in the united states in the mid 20th century and its origin is uncertain.
- She had a zinger for every occasion.
- That was a zinger, I didn't see that coming.
- He had a reputation for delivering zingers in debates.
- The comedian had a knack for delivering zingers.
- The host had a few zingers prepared for the roast.